English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Facebook and Privacy Issues

4 posters

Go down

Do you agree with Facebook privacy policies?

Facebook and Privacy Issues I_vote_lcap25%Facebook and Privacy Issues I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_vote_lcap50%Facebook and Privacy Issues I_vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_vote_lcap25%Facebook and Privacy Issues I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
Facebook and Privacy Issues I_vote_lcap0%Facebook and Privacy Issues I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

Facebook and Privacy Issues Empty Facebook and Privacy Issues

Post by Anita Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:30 pm

I'll repost a link that Jose shared some days ago:

Facebook tracks users' activities after they log out

While there have been massive collective attempts to close Facebok accounts due to disagreements on ptivacy issues like tagging, posession of pictures and data, info storage and tracking, the number of Facebook users has risen significantly, being the number one social network worldwide.

How important is Facebook to you?
Do you agree with their privacy policies?
What's the point you disagree with?
Is there any way that we, as users, control this issue?

Last edited by Anita on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Facebook and Privacy Issues Medal10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Hug10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Pooky10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Cockta10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Facebook and Privacy Issues Empty Re: Facebook and Privacy Issues

Post by Misor Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:45 pm

For me facebook is really important, because I keep in touch with some classmates that otherwise I've losen any contact.
On the other hand, For the tracking problem, I've decided to open my facebook account in the Chrome (by google) explorer, so they cannot track the pages I visit (using Firefox)

But, in fact, the issue of the pictures and data, even if you close your account, they keep all them. I don't agree with that policy.

I've closed my account around three times, but not for any of those reasons, the reason for closing my account was facebook is time-consuming, and I wasted a lot of time in that social network.

Nonetheless, I don't feel my privacy is being broken, because not everybody can see my profile, even my data. In fact, just if you have a common friend with me you can search me, but not seeing my personal information. And just my friends can see my pics.

Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

My Mood : Is gonna be allright

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Facebook and Privacy Issues Hug10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Sunflower_Icon Facebook and Privacy Issues Coffee10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Cockta10

http://neophotographer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Interesting. I just wonder: China's heavily criticised as they monitor and control the way their inhabitants navitage on the web. I don't agree with this procedure and, if you ask me, I don't find any difference between China's actions and Facebook's.

In my case, I've got absolutely nothing to hide. Yet, I do think this is a serious issue, as there are limits they're traspassing. Let's say you invite an aacquaintance to your house. You want this person to be comfortable at home but, as an acquaintance, you just waqnt them to be on the common area of your home, not to gossip in every bedroom and drawer.
This is what I think Facebook's doing: they're abusing their power and overdoing what they, as a social network, should do.

Now, only God and they know whose hands this information reaches. I don't really believe this information is held exclusively in Facebook servers, mainly when they have so many apps designers and affiliated companies.

I know that, by deleting my account, I won't be safe from being monitored by Facebook (which gives me chills), but at least I feel like not being a somehow complicit of such a game, just like Big Brother!

Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Facebook and Privacy Issues Medal10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Hug10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Pooky10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Cockta10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:24 pm

I agree with you, Deleting a facebook account is a way of protest, I'll consider closing my account, too. I'll let you know what the conclusion was Wink
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

My Mood : Is gonna be allright

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Facebook and Privacy Issues Hug10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Sunflower_Icon Facebook and Privacy Issues Coffee10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Cockta10

http://neophotographer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Razz I understand, it's a tough decision. In my case, Facebook was the only way to keep in touch with a number of friends. This is the time they haven't written an E-Mail to me. Without any question, that's a hook or a good reason to remain in Facebook.
In my case, though, I'm positive there are other alternatives to contact these people: MSN, Yahoo!, etc. They also track your activity online, but not as much as Facebook does.

You see, every website's got their cookies which, due to legislation, have an expiration time of hours. Still, these large companies have permanent cookies, if they don't last a lifetime - about 25 years! If you don't ever delete your navigation files, they'll follow each one of your clicks for years. Let alone what they do with the info collected: besides upgrading their products and thinking of necessities to fulfil with the application, they also sell info to advertisers and other development companies. They say they don't but, otherwise, they wouldn't have as many benefits and popularity as they do now.
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vixxie Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 am

Anita, actually I really miss you in Facebook.
vixxie
vixxie
Content Poster
Content Poster

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Facebook and Privacy Issues Chocol10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:06 am

Very Happy Do you miss me? I was really complicated in Facebook. If not posting rubbish music, I posted news or the worst jokes I'd heard along the day. What I really liked doing was commenting on other people's posts, comments, thoughts and pics and chatting. Fortunately there are other spaces to do exactly the same. I guess it's a matter of being practical and stop depending on one single choice. Razz

So you miss me!! I love you
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Hello Anita,

I miss you too in Facebook (no one get up with me early in the morning or goes to bed when I get up Wink )but I understand your decision. I think the privacy Issues in Facebook are very bad and I think about to delete my account.
At the moment I'm not sure that I delete my account because I don't want lose the contacts there.
I think before I chance my job I'll delete my account because the new company for they I will work don't like facebook.

So I'll see what I do but I think what facebook can do with your personal data also decide what information you share of yourself.

Greetings
Nicole
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Facebook and Privacy Issues Medal10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Coffee10 Facebook and Privacy Issues Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Aww, My Nicole... I miss you, too. Truthfully, I miss many of my Facebook contacts and friends. The way we kept in touch won't ever be the same, although I hope we can make up for it.

Surprised Are you changing your company, Nicole?! Would you mind telling us more about it?

One of the things that upsets me about Facebook is this: OK, you decide what info to upload, what pictures to share, etc. But first of all, if they track your moves then you're not actually deciding, THEY are deciding for you.

Now, let's say you posted something and then you want to erase it. It won't be visible, but it's NEVER erased. We accepted it once we opened our accounts, once we upload info onto Facebook we accept their terms and conditions. But they never tell you what they do with the info that remains! I don't believe they just storage it.

I remember that, some years ago, a family pic that a family member uploaded ended up becoming the image of an ad overseas, WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION! Is that ethical? I don't think so. No

They might be reading this. Or maybe I'm too unimportant for them. But I don't want to be their accomplice anymore. It's possible to live without Facebook. I did once and I'll do once more! Razz
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum