English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated]

3 posters

Go down

Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Empty Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated]

Post by Anita Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:57 am

The largest companies worldwide with their headquarters in USA as well as a number of congress people are presenting the bill H.R.3261, also known as Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). This bill's intention is to set limits to any kind of device, link, virtual space or person that infringes copyright.
Wikipedia wrote:The bill is intended to expand the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online traffic in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods. Now before the House Judiciary Committee, it builds on the similar PRO-IP Act of 2008 and the corresponding Senate bill, the Protect IP Act.
Proponents of the bill say it protects the intellectual property market, including the resultant revenue and jobs, and is necessary to bolster enforcement of copyright laws especially against foreign websites.
Yet, people who oppose to this bill argue that, more than protecting copyright, this act establishes censorship and, as a result, it affects not only "the internet as we know it, but also the internet as a whole". Also, it would affect the largest websites such as social networks, and free license services such as Mozilla.
Mozilla Firefox wrote:It would pose a serious threat to social media and user generated content sites (like YouTube) across the internet. It could also undermine some of the core technical systems underlying the internet, creating new cybersecurity risks.
But why such panic?
Let us imagine that Guest links from a foreign website to an item which is supposed to possess a copyright (a video, text, software, etc.). Immediately, the website from which Guest posted is banned by search engines, social networks, advertising services, etc. In other words, the automatically enters to a blacklist, and the Internet company would forbid users to surf through that website. This, in order to protect copyright and avoid piracy, infringement and forgery.
But complaints and concerns do not wait, mainly as it doesn't affect US exclusively; it affects users globally. People worry about freedom of speech, redirection of addresses and limitations in the DNS.
Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Americancensorship

In Colombia, there's a bill on the way, as well. It's called the Lleras Law, and it consists of the same, basically.

What do you think of this bill? Do you think there's too much fuss? Wil it really affect the way we surf the web?

Last edited by Anita on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update from PIPA and SOPA to ACTA, and then to CISPA)
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Medal10 Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Hug10 Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Pooky10 Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Cockta10 Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Empty Re: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated]

Post by Anita Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:38 pm

PIPA and SOPA were finally removed from the pile of acts to be approved by the congress.

However, behind our backs, they were secretly cooking another project which would be even more serious: ACTA (Anti-Counterfeit Trade Act). With the same excuse of its predecessors, it is meant to finish piracy in the information and the product field. However, and once more, it deals first of all with accessibility to the products: many of these products would be banned, even though they are primary sources for citizens, as these products would then have a patent. No generic products - for instance, for medicine or electrical devices- would be allowed. Also, again, Internet provider companies would monitor every user's moves so that they do not break rules and, as a result, the authorities make these companies responsible.

You can find more info here. Please share your opinions. Are people's concerns too exaggerated? Will it really attack our free speech right and innovation?
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Medal10 Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Hug10 Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Pooky10 Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Cockta10 Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Empty Re: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated]

Post by Anita Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Because congress people don't give up...

After defeating SOPA, PIPA and ACTA (read previous posts), now the American Congress is defending CISPA (Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act). It's like a Phoenix Bird of SOPA.

Read this article from PC World explaining the pros and cons of this act. This diagram also helps:

Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Cispa-1

Why on earth do they keep on insisting? And then why are we becoming careless about it?
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cereal Killer Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:18 pm

the worst is that many people who are fanatic to using the web ignore what is coming. However, yesterday I read that the white house banned this act, they disagree with this procedure, in fact they are preparing their own one. I don't know if it is good or bad.
Cereal Killer
Cereal Killer
Content Poster
Content Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Tue May 01, 2012 11:00 am

I Agree You're right, Andreus!
It's until we don't see ourselves deprived from our privacy that we won't realise how serious these kinds of acts are.
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicElf Sun May 06, 2012 2:44 pm

If Washington opposed and decline the CISPA proposal - which means that it is likely not to pass the debate, what's next?

In Colombia, the Law was approved. When the free trade agreement starts ruling on May 15, the internet restriction law will start, too. How would it affect, for example, forums like this?
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) [Updated] Tickle10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum