English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
The Origin of Celebrations I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

The Origin of Celebrations

5 posters

Go down

Does the origin matter when following traditions or celebrations?

The Origin of Celebrations I_vote_lcap50%The Origin of Celebrations I_vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]
The Origin of Celebrations I_vote_lcap25%The Origin of Celebrations I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
The Origin of Celebrations I_vote_lcap25%The Origin of Celebrations I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4

The Origin of Celebrations Empty The Origin of Celebrations

Post by MusicElf Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi buddies! There are coultless celebrations worldwide. In the western world, there are many celebrations, including religious, patriotic and specific days like mother's day, Saint Valentine's day and the Wheel's day.
The origin of some of these celebrations is clear, but there are other celebrations whose origin is not in black and white. For example, what is the real origin of days like the mother's day or even Christmas?
And does the origin matter when you're celebrating?

In order to get this topic rolling, we may need to do some research, but I am sure the info will be worth sharing!
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : The Origin of Celebrations Tickle10

Back to top Go down

The Origin of Celebrations Empty Re: The Origin of Celebrations

Post by Anita Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:02 pm

I like this topic! Razz I was waiting for any other person to set the ball rolling. No one did.

One of my teachers sent this video to me, it's worth analysing carefully and be critical towards it - the idea is not being gullible, but...

As far as I know, Christmas has a pagan origin. It was a way to compensate the worship to the sun as mentioned in the video. Later on it was adopted by the Roman Chuch, who also had their own pagan traditions in progress, in order to give a new orientation to this celebration. But what are people celebrating in depth?

[For this video, I would invite you to focus on the first part, talking about the first days of December 25th's traditions. Make sure you understand these could be historically biased]

Neutral Nasty. But here's the main reason why Christmas is not an authentic celebration: It's Christians who celebrate the birth of Jesus, right? Well, is there any Bible reference which claims THAT was his birth date? NO! His death date IS confirmed: Nissan 14th, according to the moon calendar. And I can't think of such a long or short time of pregnancy, Poor Mariah (if the holy conception took place on December 8th! - Wait, that's another pagan celebration, too).

Well, some people may say, "I don't care about the origin. Today, people celebrate with generosity and love and joy. We don't resemble these pagan celebrations, and we just honour Jesus and God".
My questions are, 1) Can't we do exactly the same every day of the year? 2) Regardless of our intentions, if we know that these traditions may have a dark connotation, why should we repeat and repeat it? 3) Do we really understand symbols? And Christmas has many symbols!

I'm afraid we only stick to 'good intentions', but sometimes good intentions may be offensive. Let alone how commercial Christmas is. That's why I'm not keen on it.

Joy and happiness should shine every single day of the year!
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : The Origin of Celebrations Medal10 The Origin of Celebrations Hug10 The Origin of Celebrations Pooky10 The Origin of Celebrations Cockta10 The Origin of Celebrations Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:19 am

Hello,

I live in a very religious town and I'm the outsider because I'm protestant and not catholic. Wink
I don't agree with you in all points Anita because yes you are right joy and happiness should shine every single day of the year but I think christmas is more. It is a time where the most Christians have free. In this time you have time to see your family and to think about Jesus birthday. I think the commercial use of christmas is false and I don't like it, many people think christmas is only a party where everybody get gifts.
I'm not a person where go in church every sunday or every week but I believe in got and I think it is good that there is a time how the most people can slow done and think about there live, family or god. I think the old fashion to celebrate christmas is a god way.
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : The Origin of Celebrations Medal10 The Origin of Celebrations Coffee10 The Origin of Celebrations Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for your reply, Nicole! Wink I didn't see Christmas in the way that it's an opportunity of union as they've got more availability of time and freedom to join their families and enjoy this memorial. Believe me, I've never thought of that. Razz

And that's a good point. My thought is: I believe in God - no matter how outrageous the world is - and I thank him for all the love and life he gives... He never misses a day to let us breath, think, feel and act. Therefore, shouldn't our thanksgiving act be every day, as well, in the way we talk about him and love people around us? I don't mind about Christmas being a season of joy, but why only on holidays? Why generosity only in Christmas?

Also, I keep thinking about the actual origin of the celebration, which is surrounded by darkness and deities worship. I'm afraid some of the traditions we practise year after year may offend God, even though that's not our intention. For example, what's the connotation of the star in the Christmas Tree? Who is Santa Claus? Who were the Wisemen?

Christians are supposed to act according to the Bible, and it's not coherent to say that Jesus' birth took place at this period of time. Moreover, more than Jesus' birth, people should keep in mind Jesus' death. After all, he came to earth not to live, but to die for us and save us from sin.

I'm not a church girl. Indeed, I'm going through an uncomfortable spiritual quest where I have doubts about everything. Neutral I feel homeless but not alone.

Yet, I'm fearful tradition overcomes reality, and we may be following a ritual without knowing -- and please don't take the word ritual too seriously... even making your bed or taking a bus is a ritual. -- And we do and do without knowing what's behind our acts.

For example, mother's day is another celebration which has a pagan origin.

Today, we only honour our mothers. But these conventions or symbols and traditions had an origin, and somehow we're resembling these origins. I dare to think that's offensive to God!
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : The Origin of Celebrations Medal10 The Origin of Celebrations Hug10 The Origin of Celebrations Pooky10 The Origin of Celebrations Cockta10 The Origin of Celebrations Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicElf Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:26 am

Ha ha ha! Funny poll!!
I think the origin does matter. As Ana said, everything is a ritual, and I agree with her practical definition of ritual. Giving presents, singing songs and meeting your dear beings on a specific day is a ritual, just like Rebecca Black's ritual every friday. Mr Green Even though many of the traditions that were done in the past do not happen anymore, people still follow the celebration. Halloween is the most evident celebration in which you should say that the origin matters, but people say wearing scary customs and singing "trick or treat" is innocent. Innocent my Ignore !!
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : The Origin of Celebrations Tickle10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:06 am

You've just given the best example: Halloween is so blatant, and still people don't want to give up on it just because it's a fun time even for children.

I learnt to live without celebrations, and I've got absolutely nothing to regret, I feel I've missed nothing. I keep on enjoying with my family, and I appreciate every day as it comes, without waiting for special holidays. Very Happy
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T'ani Rein Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:32 pm

I think origins are important, after all without them, why would you be celebrating in the first place? Lol. I know that's a short answer, but I think it answers the question nicely. Smile
T'ani Rein
T'ani Rein
Content Poster
Content Poster

My Mood : happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:39 pm

I agree... That was such a nice answer! Cheesy
So what do you think about these pagan celebrations which are celebrated as family or even commercial holidays today? Should people stick to their origin or to tradition instead?

I rarely celebrate special events, so I'm afraid I can't say too much about any of these celebrations. Razz
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T'ani Rein Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:48 am

People can celebrate a commercialized holiday and still stick to their origins. Many people don't, of course, but that is not to say it is impossible. I personally don't celebrate many holidays either. I cheat on Halloween; I like to dress up and eat candy but I don't really pay any mind to its history. I don't celebrate Christmas (Im an Atheist, so Christmas is just another day to me) and I don't celebrate Thanksgiving (because most people won't tell you that Columbus was in charge of slaughtering countless Native Americans upon 'founding' theAmerica, even though the Natives were here first and I have a heavily Native American ancestry. It would seem kind of counterproductive to celebrate something like that, even though pretty much everyone else in the US is in it for the food and some of them say what they're thankful for.... Come to think of it, Thanksgiving is a perfect example of a holiday which someone should know the history of before celebrating it.

Sorry, I got a little random lol.
T'ani Rein
T'ani Rein
Content Poster
Content Poster

My Mood : happy

Back to top Go down

Post by SOMU Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 am

Wao nice discussion i come to know about Christmas celebration in more. In my country specially in our area only one church and limited Christians , So its not a big celebration in our place. I am haapy to know about western celebration of Christmas .

I know Christians prepared varies of cake in Christmas and here we say plam cake of Christmas its we eat on that day .

We are hindus but we also celebrate it by eating a plam cake always.
SOMU
SOMU
Prolific E4F! Member!
Prolific E4F! Member!

My Mood : Positive

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : The Origin of Celebrations Hug10 The Origin of Celebrations Rose

http://www.blueeyeforum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Really? Plum cake? Tasty

Tasty Yummy!!!! My mouth's watering!!

So Christmas is not as commercial and popular in India as it is in other countries, Somu! So do most people in your country commemorate the day at least with the plum cake?
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SOMU Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:32 am

Yes as long as we know plum cake is main food to celebrate Christmas. Irrespective of religion we take at least a plum cake on the day of Christmas.Its not commercial in India its observed in a holy manner like our holy functions. India is a spiritual country here any such festival , Hindus : -- worships ( here called puza ) like ganesh chaturthi, dashera , navaratri , durga puza , Muslims : ED , Christians : Christmas , Buddhist : Budhha Purnima all celebrated with worship and other holy function and last is celebration of food . First preference of all is worship .

India a large secular country of ASIA with huge population more than 100 core from different religion.We all participate each other holy functions.
SOMU
SOMU
Prolific E4F! Member!
Prolific E4F! Member!

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : The Origin of Celebrations Hug10 The Origin of Celebrations Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Yes! Interesting!
What you mean, then, is that no matter which religion you belong to, there is celebration or a ceremony on every holly day, and you observe every sort of tradition that brothers and sisters in your country celebrate, is it correct? Very Happy
I guess that's what you may expect from a country like India, which embraces such a rich religious diversity!

What is your belief or religion, Somu?
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SOMU Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Yes we celebrate all our brothers and sisters celebrates.

My belief or religion is HINDU .
SOMU
SOMU
Prolific E4F! Member!
Prolific E4F! Member!

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:45 am

Yes! I see, Somu! Thanks for the info!
T'ani Rein wrote:I don't celebrate Thanksgiving (because most people won't tell you that Columbus was in charge of slaughtering countless Native Americans upon 'founding' the America, even though the Natives were here first and I have a heavily Native American ancestry.
I Agree I agree with you, T'ani.
However, isn't Thanksgiving Day celebrated as a way to commemorate the act of kindness from the Native Americans when they supported the Pilgrims who escaped from England on the Mayflower and had a bad time on their way to nowhere as they became ill and ran out of food before arriving to Plymouth? As far as I know, it happened after Mr Mad Columbus took over American colonies. Not sure, though. scratch
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum