English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
You Be The Dictionary I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

You Be The Dictionary

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

You Be The Dictionary Empty You Be The Dictionary

Post by Anita Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi, everyone! Razz

If you think creating a dictionary's easy, let's try to be one. :LOL:
Every poster gives a word for the next poster to define it with their own words, followed by a new expression.
Words don't have to be difficult. Indeed, the simpler the word is, the better - as sometimes they're harder to define due to their simplicity. No Wikipedia, Google or Call a friend.

This is a kind of training for those who usually talk to 3-year-old lads. Laughing

Let's begin with the definition of

PAPER
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : You Be The Dictionary Medal10 You Be The Dictionary Hug10 You Be The Dictionary Pooky10 You Be The Dictionary Cockta10 You Be The Dictionary Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

You Be The Dictionary Empty Re: You Be The Dictionary

Post by Misor Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:15 pm

PAPER: noun. Narrow sheet mainly made from trees, in which you can write. Curious information: To produce a sheet of paper is needed 0,37 litres of clean water, that's why you should NOT waste paper, try using it on both sides ;-)

Very Happy
My word:
PILLOW
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

My Mood : Is gonna be allright

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : You Be The Dictionary Hug10 You Be The Dictionary Sunflower_Icon You Be The Dictionary Coffee10 You Be The Dictionary Cockta10

http://neophotographer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Misor wrote:Curious information: To produce a sheet of paper is needed 0,37 litres of clean water, that's why you should NOT waste paper, try using it on both sides ;-)
Wow! Interesting fact to keep in mind next time we use paper! Very Happy

PILLOW (n): (Most-of-the-times) Fluffy or at least soft item used to lay your body (mainly your head or back) on it for support when located on a bed or sofa. It's usually full of foam, feathers of smooth fabric. Curious facts: In some countries and American states, it is considered as a common weapon.

Next definition: MONEY
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : You Be The Dictionary Medal10 You Be The Dictionary Hug10 You Be The Dictionary Pooky10 You Be The Dictionary Cockta10 You Be The Dictionary Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:27 pm

MONEY (n): for me is the way capitalism value the job that people put in things. So the man who work on the production of a TV gets paid (of course with money), and he uses it to pay for the job a man invest in a bread.

Was it clear? Surprised

Next word: JOB
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : You Be The Dictionary Hug10 You Be The Dictionary Sunflower_Icon You Be The Dictionary Coffee10 You Be The Dictionary Cockta10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Ha ha ha!! I've got to love your definition! He he! cheers

JOB (n): Occupation a person's got for a living. The activity a person may dedicate their life to so as to survive.

Next definition: TO SAVE

Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:12 am

Save (v):
1. to put sth in a safe place so as to use it in a certain moment in the future and in some cases accumulating a certain amount of that thing (for instance, when you save money you accumulate it for some time in a secure place like a saving piggy or a bank)

2. To help somebody to overcome from a difficult situation which can put their life in danger or to be very important.

BOOK
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:08 pm

BOOK (n): A bunch number of printed papers put onto a cover in an indexed order, usually writen and designed for academic or entertainment purposes. It usually goes along with graphics (pictures) and divided in chapters or units. Books generally belong to a genre, field or topic.

BOOK (v): To make a reservation. Book a table in a restaurant, book a hotel room.

CIGARETTE
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Cigarrette (n): A circular shaped tube containing nicotine, which by the time is harmful and addictive.

WATER
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:05 am

WATER (n) A basic still vital chemical substance composed of two molecules of hydrogen and one molecule of Oxygen. It covers about 70% of our planet: nearly 97% is sea water (salty), 2% is iced water and 1% is edible water. The popular water cycle is reckon as an essential process in our planet. Water is used to drink, to wash items, for survival and recreational purposes and to attack students. This substance can also be found in our bodies.

WATER (v) To shower the garden plants with water.

CEREAL
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:55 am

CEREAL (n): the product coming from the wheat. Commonly served with milk for breakfast.

FOOD
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:32 pm

FOOD (n): Anything decently edible, what is destined to be eaten, raw or prepared. Laughing

VISION
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Vision (n): The ability that some beings have to perceive the world through images or pictures. The organ that allow it is the eye

SIGHT
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Whooo!! Slow down your horses!!! Laughing A person how has slept only two hours - just like me - would need a couple of days to define the word 'sight'
lol! Let's have a go:

SIGHT (v)
  • To be able to see. I sighted fire from the distance.
  • To take an aimwith a lens or any other instrument.
  • To see with the eyes (not an instrument)
SIGHT (n)
  • One of the basic abilities; the ability to see.
  • A view such as a landscape or a place.
Curious fact: You got me into trouble. It's got many ways to be defined! Laughing

EMPTY
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Last edited by Misor on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Surprised the best definition, don't you think so?

What else do I need to say?

Empty (adj.): The state of having nothing or the feeling of having something left to be complete. For instance: The previous post ;-)

FULL
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!! I thought it was double posting. I was about to call, "MODERATOOOOOR!" Ha ha ha ha!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Sure you'll publish an illustrated dictionary! Laughing Well done!!!

FULL (adj): The condition of being totally filled, when the total capacity has been occupied. Total, stuffed.

POLITICS
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:15 pm

OMG for one second I felt Banned Crying or Very sad ha ha ha!

POLITICS (n): (my opinion) The excuse for some people to take money from the people justifying it by making decisions on their behalf. Sometimes those decision just make them poorer.
(the common accepted definition): Activities to organise and control the activities of the government or to govern

POLICY
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Misor wrote:POLITICS (n): (my opinion) The excuse for some people to take money from the people justifying it by making decisions on their behalf. Sometimes those decision just make them poorer.
Funny, because politics is meant to be related, not mixed, with economics. However, today these two fields are so corrupted in conjunction with power, that it's impossible to think of them separately!

POLICY (n): A set of rules, decisions or regulations that rule an institution, organisation or community.

IMAGINATION ( scratch What I lack)
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:39 am

IMAGINATION (n): the faculty human beings have to think of something non-existing.

CREATIVITY
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 pm

CREATIVITY (n): The ability to design, invent or innovate.

SOUL
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:39 am

It is so difficult Sad

SOUL (n): Something invisible and immaterial that goes out from our body the day of the decease

INTELLIGENCE
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:47 pm

Misor wrote:It is so difficult Sad
I'm aware it's a bit difficult. I can see your conception of soul is related to Plato's definition. In previous times, though, or even in simultaneous times to his life and work, the sould was conceived as the body itself. What you mentioned, then, would have been the spirit. Philosophy issues...

INTELLIGENCE (n): The ability to think in order to carry out a variety of tasks and functions in life. E.g. intelligence to operate an item, intelligence to react, intelligence to learn a new thing, emotional intelligence, etc.

WALKIE-TALKIE
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:36 am

WALKIE-TALKIE (n): Electronic device to communicate in a short range distance, usually used to play with friends.

WISE
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:49 pm

WISE (adj): The characteristic of being able to use knowledge and reasoning to act, make choices or give advice by being sensible.

HEAT
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 pm

HEAT (n): The property of having or being hot :s

SUN
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum