English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
Writing Tasks for This Week I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Writing Tasks for This Week

2 posters

Go down

Writing Tasks for This Week Empty Writing Tasks for This Week

Post by Anita Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 am

Writing Welcome to our first week of writing tasks! Writing Tasks for This Week Yaysmilesa-smiley
Choose one of the three options given every week (taken from writing tasks for examinations for lower-intermediate, high-intermediate or advanced learners of English), write your compositions and post them in our Writing Practice forum. You'll have the opportunity to receive some feedback on aspects such as punctuation, style, layout, content, grammar, etc. This, in order to support you in your writing practice, mainly if facing an international examination very soon!

Task 1:FCE TASK - Letter of Application: You have just seen the following job advertisement on the noticeboard of your language school:
LAB ASSISTANT NEEDED!
(Three days a week!)

Our language school is looking for a person to help assist students of English who visit our labs. Our Laboratory operates 6 days a week; our assistant would be required to attend three times a week to support other learners.

Do you have an advanced knowledge of English?
Do you like working with people?
Are you good at dealing with software and computers?

If you think you would be a suitable person to work in our lab then we would like to hear from you. Please send a letter to the school owner saying why you are suitable for the job.
Write your letter of application to the school owner (around 120-180 words).

Task 2: TOEFL TASK - ESSAY: You have 20 minutes to plan and write your response. Your response will be judged on the basis of the quality of your writing and on how well your response presents the points in the lecture and their relationship to the reading passage. Typically, an effective response will be 150 to 225 words.
It has been said, "Not all learning takes place in the classroom." Compare and contrast knowledge gained from personal experience with knowledge gained from classroom instruction. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

Task 3: IELTS TASK - Graph Description*
The chart and graph below give information about sales and share prices for Coca-Cola.
Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below.

You should write at least 150 words.
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

Writing Tasks for This Week G1
Exclamation Remember to post your compositions HERE!!!
We'll give you some feedback on grammar, register, punctuation, etc.
You can also comment on other people's compositions!
(Encouraging comments or corrections... Constructive comments only! Wink )

Question When writing or commenting, you may want to keep in mind the following criteria:

CONTENT
The text addresses the question given. Every point is supported and relevant for the task. It includes arguments and examples if necessary, so that it sticks to the sort of composition required.

RANGE
The writer demonstrates they use the language required for the task. (Descriptive language, academic language, narrative, etc.) Also, uses vocabulary related to the topic at hand (jobs, skills, school and studies, trends and description of graphs).

COHESION AND COHERENCE
The writer uses transitions and links to join ideas; these ideas are organised coherently so that the reader can follow the topic smoothly and friendlily.

ORGANISATION
The text should keep the layout of every composition: an INTRO PARAGRAPH (which introduces what the text will be about and, in essays, the points to cover), BODY PARAGRAPHS (depending on the length of the text, it's up to three or four paragraphs) and the CONCLUSION PARAGRAPH (a closure to the whole topic or composition; it must be decisive and coherent with the topic and sort of text).
N.B. In exams you do not have to write addresses for letters.

REGISTER
How you address the reader: is it a formal or an informal composition?

TARGET READER
The reader would be informed about the topic at hand and will find the text satisfying depending on its purpose.

LANGUAGE ACCURACY
Should not contain major errors that lead to misunderstandings (grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, etc.) or that irritate the reader.

Enjoy!! Writing Tasks for This Week Clover-girl-smiley
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Writing Tasks for This Week Medal10 Writing Tasks for This Week Hug10 Writing Tasks for This Week Pooky10 Writing Tasks for This Week Cockta10 Writing Tasks for This Week Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Writing Tasks for This Week Empty Re: Writing Tasks for This Week

Post by MusicElf Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:51 am

Yay! Yay!! Thank you for the tasks!
If I want to write two compositions, can I? And can students also comment on other student's compositions?

You're also going to post sample tests next week, won't you? Applause

I'll write mine soon!!!

Applause Static Congratulations, Nicole!!! You posted your essay! I already liked it. Wink Applause
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Writing Tasks for This Week Tickle10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Writing After shameful massive abandonment of this thread from me... The Writing Tasks for the Week are back! cheers
Choose one of the three options given every week (taken from writing tasks for examinations for lower-intermediate, high-intermediate or advanced learners of English), write your compositions and post them in our Writing Practice forum. You'll have the opportunity to receive some feedback on aspects such as punctuation, style, layout, content, grammar, etc. This, in order to support you in your writing practice, mainly if facing an international examination very soon!

Task 1:Complaint letter: You have just left a hotel, but there are some strong complaints you want the manager to know:
- The cleaning service was not as frequent as expected during the week you stayed.
- You had to pay more taxes than the legal regulation (about twice a day)
- There was a lot of noise in the room - opposite to the ads info's promise.
- The doorbell man was rude to you; he damaged one of your bags.

Write your complaint letter to the hotel manager (around 120-180 words).

Task 2: You have 20 minutes to plan and write your response. Your response will be judged on the basis of the quality of your writing and on how well your response presents the points in the lecture and their relationship to the reading passage. Typically, an effective response will be 150 to 225 words.
Today after more than ten years, reality shows' popularity remain. These shows are constructive as they teach people how to deal with different circumstances in life. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Task 3: Writing a Story
A local magazine has invited you to write a story for their next edition. The story MUST begin with the following sentence,
You don't know what you have until it's gone.
Your story must be between 150 and 180 words.

Question When writing or commenting, you may want to keep in mind the following criteria:

CONTENT
The text addresses the question given. Every point is supported and relevant for the task. It includes arguments and examples if necessary, so that it sticks to the sort of composition required.

RANGE
The writer demonstrates they use the language required for the task. (Descriptive language, academic language, narrative, etc.) Also, uses vocabulary related to the topic at hand (jobs, skills, school and studies, trends and description of graphs).

COHESION AND COHERENCE
The writer uses transitions and links to join ideas; these ideas are organised coherently so that the reader can follow the topic smoothly and friendlily.

ORGANISATION
The text should keep the layout of every composition: an INTRO PARAGRAPH (which introduces what the text will be about and, in essays, the points to cover), BODY PARAGRAPHS (depending on the length of the text, it's up to three or four paragraphs) and the CONCLUSION PARAGRAPH (a closure to the whole topic or composition; it must be decisive and coherent with the topic and sort of text).

REGISTER

TARGET READER
The reader would be informed about the topic at hand and will find the text satisfying depending on its purpose.

LANGUAGE ACCURACY
Should not contain major errors that lead to misunderstandings (grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, etc.) or that irritate the reader.

Enjoy!! flower Sheep
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Writing Tasks for This Week Medal10 Writing Tasks for This Week Hug10 Writing Tasks for This Week Pooky10 Writing Tasks for This Week Cockta10 Writing Tasks for This Week Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Monkey Dance Are you ready for a new Writing Task?
Choose one of the three options given every week (taken from writing tasks for examinations for lower-intermediate, high-intermediate or advanced learners of English), write your compositions and post them in our Writing Practice forum. You'll have the opportunity to receive some feedback on aspects such as punctuation, style, layout, content, grammar, etc.
You can also participate in the feedback for other posters!

Task 1:Essay: Write an essay on the following issue:
In some countries, young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Your essay must be about 250 words long.

Task 2: write a review about the latest music CD you have bought. Your review must be between 150 and 180 words.
Remember: introduce the item, present some background information, its general overview and your basic impressions.

Task 3: ARTICLE
You are going to write an article for a local magazine, its title will be
THE HOUSE OF THE FUTURE
Your article must be between 150 and 180 words.
You can check the differences between an article and an essay HERE!

CONTENT

RANGE

COHESION AND COHERENCE

ORGANISATION

REGISTER

TARGET READER

LANGUAGE ACCURACY

Enjoy!! Banana Dance
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicElf Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Can we have more tasks, Anita?
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Writing Tasks for This Week Tickle10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Writing Tasks for This Week 3474626017 The Writing Tasks of the Week is back! Writing Tasks for This Week Yaysmilesa-smiley
Choose one of the three options given on every post, write your texts and post them in our Writing Practice forum. You'll have the opportunity to get some feedback on aspects such as punctuation, style, layout, content, grammar, etc. This, in order to support you in your writing practice.

Task 1:FCE TASK - ESSAY: You have had a class discussion about the older generation and what they can offer young people. Your English teacher has now asked you to write a composition, giving your opinions on the following statement:

There are many things that young people can learn from the older generation.

Write your essay for your English class (around 120-180 words).

Task 2: FCE TASK - STORY: Your language school is running a story competition. The rules state that the story must begin or end with the following words:

Although she was afraid, Linda knew she had to make the call.
Write your story for the competition (around 120-180 words).

Task 3: FCE TASK - REVIEW
You recently saw this notice in your local newspaper:

We are looking for new writers to tell us about their experiences in one of the many new restaurants that have opened in the city in the last year. If you have visited one of them and would like to review it, then we want to hear from you. Tell us about the atmosphere, the quality of the food and the standard of service and say if you would recommend the restaurant to others.
We will puclish the best reviews over the coming weeks.
Write your review (about 150 - 180 words).

CONTENT

RANGE

COHESION AND COHERENCE

ORGANISATION

REGISTER

TARGET READER

LANGUAGE ACCURACY

Enjoy!! Writing Tasks for This Week 1749626298
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum