English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
Lies, Lies, Lies... I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Lies, Lies, Lies...

3 posters

Go down

Lies, Lies, Lies... Empty Lies, Lies, Lies...

Post by Anita Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi! Hi

It seems lies are a part of our everyday life.
Even to professionals. For example, a significant number of doctors are proved to tell lies to their patients in order to make them feel better or protect their career. People who have the illusion of love online are constantly told lies, as well. Some studies claim that lies won't stop children from becoming the citizens we want for our future, no matter how much they lie. Oh, little liars...
There are also studies which reveal which gender tells more lies and in which situations.

Today, as I listened to the news, I hear about a study whose reference I haven't been able to find. This study says that girls lie more than boys, single people lie more than married people. Men lie more to their friends and couple, while men lie to everyone the same way - bosses, family, couple, etc.

OK, now let's discuss:
Are there good lies, or white lies?
When do you usually lie? What's in your opinion the most common lie?
Has a lie ever changed your life?
How can you detect when a person is lying?
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Lies, Lies, Lies... Medal10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Hug10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Pooky10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Cockta10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Lies, Lies, Lies... Empty Re: Lies, Lies, Lies...

Post by MusicElf Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Wow!
Too many lies for my pleasure. I usually tell lies when I do not want to go to a meeting, or when I want to spend my weekend on my own.
I don't know why many girls are obsessed about hiding their age, but that is a very typical lie.

I'm not sure if now girls lie more than boys. I think girls learn to live more with the way they are than boys, who love being the center of attention and, because of it, fake who they are.
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Lies, Lies, Lies... Tickle10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Hey Anita,

great topic. I think lies are a part of our life. I don`t like lies but we all use lies from time to time. Sometimes because we don`t want make worry familiy and friends because we love them, or sometimes because we don`t want do something i.e. go to a meeting. I think it is better not to lie but I know that it is not realistic. But I had people how lie to make worry other people. So yes I think it gives good an bad lies.
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Lies, Lies, Lies... Medal10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Coffee10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicElf Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Hi, Nicole
You are talking about white lies, aren't you? I have also lied when I don't want to make my family worry. For example, when I am sad because I remember my father or when I am sick, I usually say I am OK and I make stupid jokes so that they stop worrying about me.

Imagine you have been invited by a person to eat a meal they have prepared, but the meal is horrible. Would you lie to protect your friendship?
Or do you usually lie when people ask you for money?

I remember once I told a horrible lie. I was asked to help a cousin with a university project with some calculations in a budget. I totally forgot. When they asked me about it, I said someone could have deleted the file with the project, but I had done it. We were working as a group, so suspicion started in the whole group. It was horrible, the environment changed dramatically. In the end, I had no other choice but confess. It was better than having fallen out with each other. Of course I got into trouble, but I felt a lot better when the truth was out. Lying was horrible, I would not like to lie anymore!

So every time I can't do anything, I simply say 'no', and that's it. Wink
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Lies, Lies, Lies... Tickle10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi, girls! Hi
I remember that, as a little girl, I told many lies. Of course they were very stupid situations which would lead to a quarrel with my sisters. Or my homework and duties at home. I was also very bad tempered, I can't tell when I changed the way I am.

Today, I try to be as open as possible. My character is optimistic and cheerful most of the times, so people may think it's a kind of fake attitude. Fortunately, it's far from that. When something makes me happy, I say it. When something makes me upset, I say it too.
Also, one of the things I've learnt from experience is that, if the truth is not convenient, you'd better shut your mouth, but don't ever tell lies, otherwise things may become worse. I learnt about it as a teacher and member of the staff in the language institute where I grew up as a professional and as a person.

When do I lie, then? Mmm... Similar to Nicole and GrumpyElf, when I don't want the others to worry about me. Also, when I'm angry or depressed and someone asks me what's up with me, I usually lie. I rarely reveal what I feel by means of words. One more occasion in which I lie is when I'm in a situation with people who do not share my same likes and dislikes. In order not to exclude the person, I lie about my likes. For example, it happens with music. Of course, when the situation is extreme (for example, going to a metal rock bar Laughing ) I'm afraid I've got no option but to decline the invite. Razz

Uffffff!! I have to agree I've also lied when I don't feel like going to meetings, unless I really want to meet these people.

Have you ever lied to your doctor when they ask you the typical routine questions?
And have you ever lied to other people such as the police, or even your boss?
Even better, have you ever lied in this forum? Cheesy
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Lies, Lies, Lies... Medal10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Hug10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Pooky10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Cockta10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:59 am

He Anita,

today when I was looking around the forum and I was seeing the topic. I was thinking about it. To your questions yes I had lied by a doctor for typical routine questions because sometimes there are situations who are things forbidden when you are I'll. For example make sport when you are sick. In this times I sometimes lie by the typical routine questions.
Here in the forum I only lie when I answer in the forum lie to me.

I
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Lies, Lies, Lies... Medal10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Coffee10 Lies, Lies, Lies... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:42 pm

Yes! Yeah, doing sport is not convenient when suffering certain ailments. Usually lies from patients are related to their diets, unhealthy habits such as smoking or drinking frequency, their sexual relations or even their health record. Also, lies are usual when people want some days off. No wonder why Monday is the day when there are most absences at work. Razz
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum