English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
Superstition I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
Superstition I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
Superstition I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
Superstition I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
Superstition I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
Superstition I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
Superstition I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
Superstition I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
Superstition I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
Superstition I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Superstition

4 posters

Go down

Superstition Empty Superstition

Post by Nicole Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Hello @ all,

I open this thread because I want know do you believe in superstition. What are typical superstition in your country ?

I believe in superstition but not in all for example I believe that if you see a shooting start a wish will be come true. But I don't believe that friday the 13th is a bad day.
Now I'm curious about your view point.
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Superstition Medal10 Superstition Coffee10 Superstition Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Superstition Empty Re: Superstition

Post by Anita Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't believe in superstitions at all. But I do understand many of these beliefs come from tradition, or even from religion - which is supposed to fight omens.

For example, if you want someone to leave, you may place a broom behind the door for them to go. Walking under a ladder, coming across a black cat or even opening an umbrella indoors are also said to bring about bad luck.

Some people say a black butterfly where you live means someone's going to pass away.

Crying or Very sad And I'm still waiting for my shooting star!

Last edited by Anita on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Superstition Medal10 Superstition Hug10 Superstition Pooky10 Superstition Cockta10 Superstition Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by SOMU Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 am

A nice tread to seen. Though i don't believe superstitions but here in India its believe widely.

I am giving some examples here :

• Seeing an elephant during a journey is auspicious as Ganesha, the God who removes obstacles will ensure success bounce .

• A barber shop remains closed on Tuesday as hair is not cut on that day. Mad

• Mensturating women are regarded unclean and are isolated. They cannot enter the kitchen till they are ‘clean’ again. confused

• Nails should not be cut at night for fear of evil spirits. Ignore

• An eclipse occurs when Rahu and Ketu swallow the sun, and people avoid eating anything, and go and take a dip in rivers after it is over. lol!

• crow sits on the balcony or window and caws, there would be visitors coming over to your house. Welcome

• When there is a birth or death in the family, the members are unclean, and do not go to the temple till the stipulated period is over. Sad

• The "VAASTU" as a guide for floor plans of a house is a superstitious system, lol!

• East is the most preferred direction for all activities (I've seen some of them preferring to sit facing east even in the office affraid ),

• Repeatedly yawning Sleep indicates that someone is remembering you, Yay!

• If a lizard makes a sound when you make a statement, it indicates that what you said is true , No Talk

• Tuesdays & Saturdays are inauspicious for doing anything new or good deeds,

• Right eye twitching is good for men, left eye twitching is good for women. Cheesy

• If there is itching on the right palm (left for female) you can get some money or favors, Party Time!

• Open the front door during dusk, so that Lakshmi (fortune) enters the house Exactly!

• Never sweep the house during night time or Lakshmi (fortune) will not enter your house:banghead: .

• Taking a teaspoon of curd with litle sugar before exam will bring good luck Banana Dance

• If a dog starts wailing then something bad will happen. lol!

• Placing Neem(Margosa) leaves around people suffering from chicken-pox. I Don\'t Know

• Not resting under a 'Peepal' tree after sunset for the fear of malevolent spirits. lol!

• Always donating a sum of Rs.101 instead of Rs.100 or Rs.51 instead of Rs.50. The extra rupee is supposed to bring good luck Rolling Eyes .

• Never ask the question "where are you going? " while they are leaving house, its purpose will not be fulfilled. pale
SOMU
SOMU
Prolific E4F! Member!
Prolific E4F! Member!

My Mood : Positive

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Superstition Hug10 Superstition Rose

http://www.blueeyeforum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:11 am

Wow, I guess I need the teaspoon of curd with sugar Laughing And a dg wagging its tail... Here we think of it as a behavioural reaction of the dog - hapiness or alarm.

Wow, Somu, there are many superstitions! Do you also have the itchy feet omen (which is supposed to mean you will travel)?

So in your case, you believe in none of these believes, right?
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Superstition Medal10 Superstition Hug10 Superstition Pooky10 Superstition Cockta10 Superstition Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by SOMU Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:41 am

I don't believe any of them. But Tuesday barber shop close here in all India. As no no to hair cut on that day i also don't Exactly! .
SOMU
SOMU
Prolific E4F! Member!
Prolific E4F! Member!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Oh there many superstition in your country SOMU. Why you don't believe in superstition ?

Anita is the word shooting star wrong ? (That's was they only translation that I found for the German word Sternschnuppe) The meaning from Sternschnuppe is when you see for a short moment a star on heaven.

Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Superstition Medal10 Superstition Coffee10 Superstition Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Nicole wrote:Oh there many superstition in your country SOMU. Why you don't believe in superstition?
Exactly! I had the same question. While I agree tht it might be a bit annoying when these believes affect your lifestyle (for example, the barbershop) I wonder why you don't follow these traditions. Razz

Yet, if I were you, I wouldn't believe in these fact, either. Yes!
Nicole wrote:Anita is the word shooting star wrong?
Not wrong at all. It is correct.
Indeed, I have to say that, on my way to one of my classes, I was listening to a song called Shooting Star by the Irish band Slide. It reminded me of you, Nicole! Yes!
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:27 pm

I don't know if you've posted it, but mummy says that If a dog pee on your leg it a good luck for you.

I'm still waiting for my two lucky events, as Tony has pee on me twice Sad poor José lol!
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

My Mood : Is gonna be allright

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Superstition Hug10 Superstition Sunflower_Icon Superstition Coffee10 Superstition Cockta10

http://neophotographer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:46 pm

Ha ha ha ha! ROTF Naughty Tony! Puppy
Well, Jose... Don't you consider yourself fortunate?

There's a thought that if you've got itchy feet then you're likely to travel very soon. Also, if your left ear itches, then someone's talking about you in a negative way, whereas an itchy right ear means that someone's talking about you positively.

So I hope you've got terribly itchy right ears! Cheesy
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SOMU Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Anita wrote:
There's a thought that if you've got itchy feet then you're likely to travel very soon. Also, if your left ear itches, then someone's talking about you in a negative way, whereas an itchy right ear means that someone's talking about you positively.

So I hope you've got terribly itchy right ears! Cheesy

Its widely belief in India also. There are more here i will post not getting time.I am customizing my forum.I will join you all soon. Yay!
SOMU
SOMU
Prolific E4F! Member!
Prolific E4F! Member!

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Wink Perfect, Somu! Yay!

While religion is meant to oppose to omens, some people who are religious have superstitions, too.
For example, the word Jehovah (in whatever language) is not used by a wide number of Christian people because it's meant to be a sacred name, although they believe in the Bible, and though this name is mentioned in this book.

Talking about the Bible (as I'm from a Christian country), some people love keeping their Bible open at a half part in their rooms, more specifically in the Psalm 91, which is meant to offer protection to the home.

Of course, many religions have got their own believes, saints and icons. Carrying an icon of these people is supposed to help them.

I don't believe in any of these superstitions, though.

I don't believe in the spilling superstitions, either. For example, when you spill salt accidentally, you are supposed to spread a bit of it on your right shoulder in order to avoid bad luck.

There are some other believes which are more cultural. If I'm not wrong, in China you can't write a person's name with red ink; otherwise you're sentencing them to die. Also, in China you can't give a person any present wrapped in blue, as blue has got a connotation of death.

Cheesy If I've ignored these superstitions and I'm living the consequences, then I'm proud of doing so. Wink
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum