English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
How To Beat Insomnia I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

How To Beat Insomnia

4 posters

Go down

How To Beat Insomnia Empty How To Beat Insomnia

Post by Anita Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 am

Hi, everyone! Hi

Sleep Sleeping is as vital as listening to music. I bet you can't spend a day without listening to music, can't you? Rolling Eyes
Anyway... I don't know why I start suffering from insomnia when I'm on vacation. I guess the exhaustion from work helps me fall asleep, so I also try to work out and do several activities while on holidays. Nothing works.

What's your best recipe for insomnia?

Sweet dreams, everyone! bounce
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : How To Beat Insomnia Medal10 How To Beat Insomnia Hug10 How To Beat Insomnia Pooky10 How To Beat Insomnia Cockta10 How To Beat Insomnia Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

How To Beat Insomnia Empty Re: How To Beat Insomnia

Post by Nicole Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:48 pm

My best recipe is to read before I go sleep and I'm listening to meditation music for the night. (Your right I can't spend a day without listening music). Now I wish you a good night and I hope you can enjoy your vacation. Smile
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : How To Beat Insomnia Medal10 How To Beat Insomnia Coffee10 How To Beat Insomnia Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Hug Thank you for your good wishes, Nicole!

Well, I've tried listening to music but it doesn't help. Even when it's the most relaxing music, I end up singing or distracted by the tune. Mmm... I'm the silliest person, even for sleeping!

Reading seems a good alternative... I avoid surfing the web as it awakes me even more. And I think reading might be effective depending on what you read. I guess Stephen King's not a good alternative, though! Laughing

Static Thanks for the suggestion!!
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : How To Beat Insomnia Medal10 How To Beat Insomnia Hug10 How To Beat Insomnia Pooky10 How To Beat Insomnia Cockta10 How To Beat Insomnia Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:59 am

I agree with you Stephen King's not the best alternative but I hope you slept well this night. Another suggestion is to make yoga before sleeping to slow down. So I wish you a nice da and enjoy your free time. ( until three day's I will have holiday, too Laughing )
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : How To Beat Insomnia Medal10 How To Beat Insomnia Coffee10 How To Beat Insomnia Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:28 am

Party Time! Nicole's Holiday!!!!! Shake Banana Dance Monkey Dance Hi5!

Truthfully, I've never practised yoga. But I've heard it's an excellent practice to relax your body, which is what usually doesn't help you sleep. Razz Ignorant me!!! Cheesy
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:23 pm

I think you should try yoga before you get to bed. Smile
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:58 pm

If so, I guess I'll try to get some yoga classes before starting practising it. Yoga sounds really useful, not only for sleeping effectively. Wink So my next homework is YOGA!!! Happy
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicElf Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:36 am

Drinking herbal water or milk helps, too. It helps me a lot.
Yes! Reading also helps, I agree with Nicole, it depends on what you read.
Doing yoga or a lot of exercise before sleeping makes your body need some relaxation, and sleeping is the best way to get it.

Don't watch TV or surf the web. It awakens your brain so you won't sleep well.
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : How To Beat Insomnia Tickle10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:51 am

You're right. Even when I surf the web, watch TV or listen to music, I can remember my dreams or nightmares the day after, which means I haven't rested enough and my dream lapse was interrupted! Sad
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T'ani Rein Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Anita wrote:You're right. Even when I surf the web, watch TV or listen to music, I can remember my dreams or nightmares the day after, which means I haven't rested enough and my dream lapse was interrupted! Sad

I've a history of insomnia and I'm well educated in dreams so this thread caught my attention. Don't feel bad about not remembering your dreams. Most people don't remember them or they only remember little pieces. When I was training myself to lucid dream (where you are aware that you're dreaming and can control your dreams), one of the first training exercises was to teach myself to remember my dreams. It takes some time and dedication, but within a couple of weeks, I found myself being able to recall at least 3 dreams every day. The purpose of this exercise is to actually know that you would even remember a lucid dream. Point being, some people need to train themselves to remember any kind of dream.

As for the insomnia, it depends on the source of the problem-insomnia is always a secondary condition.

Most doctors will tell you to stop taking in caffeine and to increase your level of exercise. Since physical exertion had nothing to do with my insomnia, these suggestions didn't work for me. Neither did sleep aids. Feel free to try them, but they've never worked for me. If it's not a physical source, it's mental; perhaps anxiety or stress. Try talking with someone about any anxieties you have and clear your mind. Don't watch TV or use electronics before sleeping as they are far too stimulating. Don't go to bed until you're tired, and if you find yourself waking up at night, get up and do something until you feel tired again. Do not try to force yourself to sleep. You might also ensure the room is cool and dark and you are comfortable.

Hopefully you sleep soon. Insomnia and I know each other far too well.
T'ani Rein
T'ani Rein
Content Poster
Content Poster

My Mood : happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:14 pm

T'ani Rein wrote:Try talking with someone about any anxieties you have and clear your mind. Don't watch TV or use electronics before sleeping as they are far too stimulating. Don't go to bed until you're tired, and if you find yourself waking up at night, get up and do something until you feel tired again. Do not try to force yourself to sleep. You might also ensure the room is cool and dark and you are comfortable.
Yes! I I totally agree with you!
You'' see that just about 10% of the patients dealing with insomnia have got physical issues, but most of them are to do with mental issues or your state of mind. Just to say, the more things you've got to do, the less you'll sleep: the more problems that trouble you, the more anxiety you'll have, of course. And insomnia is just one of the different types of disorders you'll experience, along with irregular eating, mood change and body exhaustion.

So I couldn't agree more with T'ani's suggestions, which make total sense when coping with insomnia in a natural and sensible way!

So, T'ani, isn't it only possible but actually healthy to remember your dreams? I though it only happened when your REM phase was interrupted!
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T'ani Rein Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Remembering dreams doesn't have any health benefits unless you believe in dream interpretation. Most dreams are simply random pieces of information that your brain has gathered throughout the day and is storing in the hypocampus, the memory center of the brain. Dreams are also your brain's way of sorting through problems you are having without logical restraint, as the parts of your brain that deal in logic shut off during sleep. This is why even wildly irrational dreams feel real; no logic is there to tell you something is unusual. Certain things such as death, monsters and houses do have symbolic importance in dream interpretations, but if you have a dream and don't remember it, it still happened and the corresponding information is, therefore, present in your subconscious so technically you're aware of what you dreamt. You just don't realize it.... yea, that was a long winded version of, it doesn't matter whether or not you remember your dreams lol.
T'ani Rein
T'ani Rein
Content Poster
Content Poster

My Mood : happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Well, I'm not fond of dream interpretation. I have always thought of dreams as chunks of mental associations of memories, fears, hopes and imagination, and our hard disk is taking all these pieces in. But I don't think they've got a meaning for the future, just as some people claim. Razz I'm a bit tough about those believes.

Thanks for your post, T'ani! It's good to know what dreams are to our brain. This is especially important for those who do not sleep because they are busy. It is important to sleep, regardless of not remembering these dreams! It's a time our body and our brain deserve! Wink
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Dreams are also your brain's way of sorting
through problems you are having without logical restraint, as the parts
of your brain that deal in logic shut off during sleep.
Yes! So true! I scientific research carried out lately, mice could find the maze exit much more easily after sleeping. It's easy to tell you can also study a lot better after having slept, and when you think things over, that's why we'd say in Spanish "Déjame pensarlo con la almohada," as if the pillow were going to give you the answer. Laughing
That's why cramming up in exams time is senseless, because you won't let your brain process all the information that, as T'ani has mentioned, is stored in the hypocampus - your short-term memory data.

I came across [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], which reviews a book based on research on insomniacs habits and how to deal with it. It's worth reading it despite its length - and thank heaven it's an edited extract. Laughing
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum