English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
What Makes a Good Forumer I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

What Makes a Good Forumer

4 posters

Go down

What Makes a Good Forumer Empty What Makes a Good Forumer

Post by Anita Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi!
Forums provide a unique chance of interaction, but the essential ingredient for a successful forum is its members, nothing else. As our family grows little by little, these aspects are worth keeping in mind:

1. A good forumer keeps in mind the rules of the house. Every forum has a purpose and power of force. If you know what this purpose is and understand the rules, your contributions will be a lot better. You can easily talk to the admins about these rules you consider unnecessary or confusing. Anyway, I guess most if not all forums have down-to-earth rules to ensure a safe interaction. Forum rules are easier to read than your country's constitution, I bet! Whistle

2. A good forumer reads other people's posts. Even when they're 20 posts before yours. Check the threads already open so that you don't start a discussion which already exists. Also, read the whole thread, post by post if possible. When you do so, you can follow how the discussion's going and, as a result, reply in a coherent way. You will avoid repetition or off-topic lines to boo. And you may even find unexpected viewpoints you would like to react to! Wink

3. A good forumer wants to be understood. So don't ever post like "C U L8R" "IOU1", or what they call Chat language. While some people do understand it, some other may get puzzled. It's also impolite. So take your time to write a cool message. Also, a good forumer reads and re-reads their post before clicking on Send. They check grammar and punctuation so that their message is as clear as water. How would you feel if you receive a letter or read a book with careless grammar and punctuation? I guess you'd throw them away. Same happens to posts. Mr Green

4. A good forumer contributes to the forum. Posts like "Yes." "No." "I like it." "I don't like it." "I agree." "I disagree." and so on are not beneficial at all. Why do you like it? Why do you disagree? Support your answers, which will make your post more interesting. These arguments are the ones which lead to a captivating discussion.
If you've got nothing to say, then say nothing. A good forumer doesn't post just to increase their post count!
Oh! And I'm sure a person whose posts are mostly in the Games forum can contribute significantly more in actual discussions. Razz

5. A good forumer enriches discussions. Provide examples, experiences, anecdotes, statistics, use complements such as links, media, etc. so that the thread is as friendly and attractive as possible. If you see a thread is going off-topic or has become dull, you can be the perfect discussion saviour! Trophy

6. A good forumer doesn't post SPAM.

Posts just like the ones mentioned in section 4 are considered SPAM. Senseless posts which are off-topic are SPAM. Irrelevant ads posted on threads are SPAM. Repeated threads or posts are SPAM. Simply quoting previous posts without a personal message is SPAM. Random questions which could perfectly fit on another thread are SPAM. SPAM SPAM SPAM! Sing

7. A good forumer brings a topic to life! Sometimes there are topics which are worth continuing, but for one reason or another they get stuck, they die. If the topic has been inactive for a long time and you think it deserves a new chance, don't hesitate to re-start the discussion! Perhaps new members of the family would like to participate in it, as well. Static

8. A good forumer is innovative. Is there a topic you would like to discuss but no one has started a thread? So it's your perfect opportunity to start it! Some people are shy to start discussions but, indeed, seeing new discussions opened by members is more motivating than the discussions started by admins. These topics are more engaging. In addition, once you start a new discussion, don't forget to keep it alive! PC User

9. A good forumer DOESN'T SHOUT! Members are neither deaf nor blind. So why would you post a whole message IN CAPITAL LETTERS? Remember this is like shouting, and no one deserves to be shouted at. Clown

10. A good forumer doesn't make up info. If you post a piece of news, an article, a possible theory, a fact, etc. don't forget to post the source of information. This will make your support far more reliable. If you post pictures which are not yours, make sure you also post the source - unless it's already there, in the pic. Nerd

11. A good forumer is polite. Manners are never out of question. If someone replies an inquiry to you, say "Thanks" - as a thread started, you can use the Thanks button. Say hello when opening a topic, and be gentle. There's no need to be rude - it won't make you a cool person. You can express disagreement without crossing the line. Also, mind your words - cuss words are not welcome. Trolls are not a part of the forum family, so they'd better refrain from participating! Last but not least, the length of your message is important, as well. Very long messages make people fall asleep, just if they don't skip them. geek

12. A good forumer is an outstanding member of the family, so he welcomes new members, gives ideas to the admins and guides others in a kind way. Be a memorable member! There are countless benefits from being a good forum member. The main one: true friendship! Hi5!

Is there any other thing which was not included in these points but make someone a good forumer?

A super hug for the best forumers on earth!!! Group Hug

Last edited by Anita on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : What Makes a Good Forumer Medal10 What Makes a Good Forumer Hug10 What Makes a Good Forumer Pooky10 What Makes a Good Forumer Cockta10 What Makes a Good Forumer Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

What Makes a Good Forumer Empty Re: What Makes a Good Forumer

Post by Misor Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 am

A good forumer is part of English4Fun Razz
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

My Mood : Is gonna be allright

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : What Makes a Good Forumer Hug10 What Makes a Good Forumer Sunflower_Icon What Makes a Good Forumer Coffee10 What Makes a Good Forumer Cockta10

http://neophotographer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:49 pm

[quote="Anita"]grammar and punctuation so that their message is as clear as water. How would you feel if you receive a letter or read a book with careless grammar and punctuation? I guess you'd throw them away. Same happens to posts. Mr Green [quote]

I think this is not so easy for all users because I'm not so good in grammar or punctuation. But I will try to do my best. Wink
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : What Makes a Good Forumer Medal10 What Makes a Good Forumer Coffee10 What Makes a Good Forumer Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Well, I don't think you're bad, Nicole. One thing is to need to refine one's writing style, and a very different thing is to be careless about it. And believe me, many people are.
Punctuation is closely related to the way you speak (pauses, breath taking and stop times). Spelling is another typical complication, mainly when we mistake words for those in our mother tongue. It happens a lot to me! Blushing
But that's what we're here for: to learn!!! Happy
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : What Makes a Good Forumer Medal10 What Makes a Good Forumer Hug10 What Makes a Good Forumer Pooky10 What Makes a Good Forumer Cockta10 What Makes a Good Forumer Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:03 pm

Totally agree is pretty different to be learning, and to be careless.

For me it's a bit difficult punctuation, I think is a lack of practise. Hopefully this year I'll be more keen on planing what I'm going to spend my time on and to dedicate some time to practise written English, which is one of my problem skills in English.

With your help We'll improve Very Happy
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

My Mood : Is gonna be allright

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : What Makes a Good Forumer Hug10 What Makes a Good Forumer Sunflower_Icon What Makes a Good Forumer Coffee10 What Makes a Good Forumer Cockta10

http://neophotographer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicElf Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:08 am

Good post, Ana! Applause
A good forumer must also be organised in the way he post his ideas. Sometimes ideas are scrambled in a massive way, it simply goes nowhere.

Oops! Most of my posts are in the forum game. Whistle

A good forumer must try their best not to look stupid, but he must also try not to look like a nerd. ROTF
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : What Makes a Good Forumer Tickle10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 pm

Laughing Oh, GrumpyElf! Welcome back!
I agree with you, attitude does a lot when dealing with forums! Wink
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down