English4Fun!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowSat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowSat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowFri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowFri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
Family and Birth Order I_right_arrowTue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 148 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Family and Birth Order

4 posters

Go down

Family and Birth Order Empty Family and Birth Order

Post by Anita Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Hey! Hi
for those who have sibilngs, I guess you've heard that birth order - whether you're the oldest, the youngest or any of the sandwich Laughing - correlates your personality, likes and dislikes and even your career prospect or choice!

To make the long story short: Older siblings are said to be more determined, bossy, committed, as well as organised and perfect leaders.
On the other hand, younger siblings are more affectionate, wittier, more creative and more demanding to themselves.
We've also got the middle children, or the sandwich, as I call them. They have to fight to be noticed sometimes, according to the legend. Also, they are more peaceful, great negotiators, more loyal and less tough to themselves, which helps them overcome failure or problems far better.
Last but not least, we have only children. As they've got no siblings, they are far more confident, yet spoiled. They might also be far more critical and sometimes more conceited due to having everyone else's attention, and it's mainly during childhood that most of the times they do yearn for a brother or sister. Still, most of them tend to be gregarious.

TIME Magazine
Scientific American

In relation to family order, do you agree with these profiles? How do you describe yourself as a brother or sister? If you are an only child, have you ever longed to have a sibling?

Family and Birth Order Epa0012l
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Family and Birth Order Medal10 Family and Birth Order Hug10 Family and Birth Order Pooky10 Family and Birth Order Cockta10 Family and Birth Order Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Family and Birth Order Empty Re: Family and Birth Order

Post by Misor Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:24 pm

I can't agree with what they say in the article. I'm the youngest of the three siblings. And I don't meet the requirements I'm supposed to have being the last of my parents children.

In my family the "black sheep" is my older brother, who is very close to be alcoholic, and who doesn't decided for a career.
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

My Mood : Is gonna be allright

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Family and Birth Order Hug10 Family and Birth Order Sunflower_Icon Family and Birth Order Coffee10 Family and Birth Order Cockta10

http://neophotographer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Misor wrote:In my family the "black sheep" is my older brother, who is very close to be alcoholic, and who hasn't decided for a career.
Oh! I'm sorry about that situation! Sad How old is your brother?
You see, this sort of situations typically take place in younger brothers or sisters, as they're usually less constrained than older children who have got their parents' pressure as well as more maturity.
Is there any factor which as taken your brother to this situation?
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Family and Birth Order Medal10 Family and Birth Order Hug10 Family and Birth Order Pooky10 Family and Birth Order Cockta10 Family and Birth Order Sunflower_Icon

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:00 am

He is 37 years old.

And I think the main factor as you said is my parents control. As far as I know his first time drinking alcohol was early at high school. In contrast, I wasn't allowed to have even a beer until I became 18. So, in my family the control was on the contrary of what you said, they were more strict with the youngest child (me).
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Family and Birth Order Hug10 Family and Birth Order Sunflower_Icon Family and Birth Order Coffee10 Family and Birth Order Cockta10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:04 am

I see!! So the thing was a nurture issue! I think youngest children are fortunate in the way that they count on more experienced parents, just like in your case. What I find curious and sad about your brother's case is that he didn't have overprotecting parents, which is what happens typically with first-born children and which leads to a more mature behaviour. Do you think there are still chances for your brother to make up his mind?
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:09 am

Of course. In fact he became Christian this year and he is much better. Since last year when he got married he haven't got drunk, of course he has some drinks but not too much! Exactly!

Last edited by Misor on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:12 am

Whew!! That's alleviating and astonishing, his change is for the better! Static

You've got a sister, don't you? What is she like?
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicElf Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:38 pm

I agree with the birth order profiles. That is what happens in my family, and there are just exceptional cases where things go different, like Misor's.

First children are like kamikaze who have to deal with their parents' inexperience, and sometimes that inexperience make parents be excessively strict or, on the contrary, very flexible, mainly on a generation like now where parents are afraid of children.

Most of the times, youngest children are the most creative and that is why they choose careers which do not seem as a profession - something related to arts, or things like that, what makes their parents complain because they want their children to be 'professionals'. Yeah, most of the times parents disagree with their youngest children's career choice. I have seen that a lot in my group of friends and acquaintances, and it even happened to the sister of my ex.

What I don't understand is why the ones in the middle have to have such a conflicting life. Calling people's attention? Why would they do that?
MusicElf
MusicElf
Legend
Legend

My Mood : Couldn't care less

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Family and Birth Order Tickle10

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:57 pm

MusicElf wrote:First children are like kamikaze who have to deal with their parents' inexperience.
Yes! I agree! I'm not a parent, but I know that usually first children have a heavy load as the whole responsibility and parents' conceptions about growth rely on them. Moreover, when they are young, inexperienced and even worse, immature parents - I have met many of them - there's a total disorder in the way they bring their kids up, up to the extent that both parents and children grow together. No
MusicElf wrote:What I don't understand is why the ones in the middle have to have such a conflicting life. Calling people's attention? Why would they do that?
That's not the situation in my family - as far as I know, but I guess the one in the middle - the sandwich - may feel unnoticed. The pressure of discipline on the oldest child and the worries and are on the youngest may make the sandwich feel he is in none of these extreme roles. Of course I think situations can change in every family. In my case, I was a bit of a troublemaker, but my parents paid lots of attention to what Patricia did and felt, as well. Her sense of humor made her stood out, as well. jocolor

But things can really change in every family. Razz
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:18 pm

That's right Anita it always depend on the family education.

But I wonder if on single children there are some particular characteristics.

I've heard that single children are over protected, very independent and also egoistic.

What do you think of those statements?
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Ok now I want write here some from my expierence down.
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Family and Birth Order Medal10 Family and Birth Order Coffee10 Family and Birth Order Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:22 am

Go ahead Nicole. Are you a sinlge daughter.

Or, what position do you have in your siblings order of birth?
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:46 pm

As far as I know, Nicole's got two brothers. Yet, I'm suffering from memory loss this week, so I know whether it's right, and I can't remember if Nicole's the youngest. I can just remember the pic of her gorgeous nephew! Glow Eye

Razz
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Oh sorry for the short post. I wrote more but I don't know why online the first sentences is here. Embarassed
I have to brothers a younger one and a older one. So I am the middle of the sandwich. I think it is not the best position in the middle because the most time my brothers had more rights than I. My older brother because he was older my younger brother because he was the nest tick.
For example after eating I always had to clean the table because my older brother don't have to do this and my little brother always were to young.
Smile
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts : Family and Birth Order Medal10 Family and Birth Order Coffee10 Family and Birth Order Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZydG0KO_sV1I9uFVksxmYpBz7NQ3-TY1saac3lMytQcsqr4gBsEMWdbE

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:13 am

Suspect Oh! I never tell the dish thing could happen! Razz
I understand your position when being a child was far more difficult, and your example illustrates it a clear as water. So, would you agree with this kind of profile, Nicole? I love you
Anita wrote:
We've also got the middle children, or the sandwich, as I call them. They have to fight to be noticed sometimes, according to the legend. Also, they are more peaceful, great negotiators, more loyal and less tough to themselves, which helps them overcome failure or problems far better.
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Yes I think this kind os profile is the right profile. Laughing
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Awww!! Well, it seems to have some advantages as well as drawbacks - Always washing dishes... Laughing

Did you ever wish to have more siblings, Nicole? Static
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Misor Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:32 pm

I agree with you two. My sister, who is the sandwich one, is paceful, great negociator and teacher! geek So She has been a guide to follow for me lol!

And also as you said, she overcome from problems very easy.
Misor
Misor
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:47 pm

I never think about to have more siblings Anita, so I don't miss it.
Nicole
Nicole
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:48 pm

I see, Nicole. Usually the wish to have more siblings is when we're children, before we have a definite social circle. Perhaps now I'm the only adult who longs to have a new sibling. Laughing
Anita
Anita
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down